Thursday, September 21, 2006

Computer Watch, Day 8 - updated

When will the computer be ready?

** Just found out: MONDAY 25 SEPTEMBER **


After watching the analysis of the use of the question mark (a.k.a. “the Cavuto”) on the Sept 13th episode of The Daily Show, I couldn’t resist it’s inclusion in my blog. This would be categorized under the CNN use of it. What if … ?


I feel a little like David Blaine now, trapped in a vessel of my own design, except that I lack his talent, money & following. No cheering (or jeering) throngs/masses awaiting my entrance or departure. However, being in Windhoek for this long I have learned how to make money disappear. Sure, I knew I should’ve gone home Friday night and almost did, but that is like a week ago now. Murphy’s Law will kick into effect the second I step into a combi or hop on the train – sir, you computer is ready. But if I continue to stay, that watched pot will never boil. Why not just lock me in a block of ice? Why not!


I’ve had a chance to spend time with people I didn’t see much of during break, so that’s been a big positive. I'm also very grateful that Jason doesn't mind me staying for so long. (saying that he gets a few visitors would be an understatement) I got to see how the other half have it when I visited Jason’s school. Even busted out some of the Khoekhoegowab. In fact, one of the staff at his school went to St. Therese (my school)! She stopped by to talk later on. Small community here.


The biggest news has been that I now can upload pictures off my camera at any time! Hooray!!! I broke down and got a USB SD (and many other kinds) flash reader. Could I afford it? Yes and no. I just got tired of having to travel at least 80k (many times up to W’hoek also) to get the pics off my camera. Economically I could and did justify the purchase. Another positive side-effect: Now I have close to 2Gb worth of portable storage space. Oh, I also now have some movies (now that the dvdrom will be working) that I and my learners can watch.


When I wasn’t burning DVDs, spent the time reading, grant writing, helping to plan restaurants (All You Dare to Eat) and taking the peanut M&M taste test challenge, getting hooked on podcasts, watching a movie a night, popcorn with Italian cheese seasoning, licking the bowl of brownie mix clean, eating lots of ice cream, experimenting with chocolate/cocoa content and pancakes, doing a picnic in Zoo Park, listening to the /Aë //Gams Arts and Cultural Festival, taking in the Vagina Monologues, burning more DVDs, climbing to the top of the cone to watch the sun set, working on my bandana tan line on my forehead and other things which currently have slipped my mind. I did find out I can get a 4-in-1 DVD/CD burner from Schoolnet for N$410.


Sorry for the randomness. My learning style is not concrete sequential, but abstract sequential, as you probably can tell from my blog entries.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home