Monday, August 31, 2009

The funny places you get cell phone reception...

So I'm at my site and my roommate and I are moving into our flat when we realize we have absolutely no coverage. We do, however, have reception if we walk 1-2km toward our workplace and either: 1) stand by the tilting pole, 2) stand by a patio where the women gather or 3) go in my roommate's office. That one floored us when we found that out today!

Things are going well. The site is amazing - misty clouds passing by jungle covered mountains. Yeah, it's rough. Only problem is mud. Mud and clay. It's everywhere. I'll upload a couple pics I took of our three and a half hour journey to travel 100km to the site. Three and a half hours to go about 62 miles. Would have been stuck twice if not for the incredible navigation/sliding skills of our driver. All this mud sure makes running a more interesting adventure.

They don't have coffee easily available so a teacher trainer (and former PCV) at the site gave us a cola nut, a bitter tasting nut loaded with caffeine. After eating only a quarter, it was like downing three shots of coffee!

We get power (they call it current here) from 4am-7am and then again at 7pm until 11pm or midnight, so we can charge our electronics. Hooray!

Gotta run. Time to head back to the flat. If you want to get in touch with my by phone, you'll need to call while I'm at work, probably sometime between 5 and 11pm my time (am 5 hours ahead of Minnesota time). If you don't get through, just wait and try calling again later. I'll be around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home